Engaging with Art
Meets the learning standards for grades 4-5 (can be adapted)
Media Type: online and written
Fine Arts, English Language Arts and Reading, Mathematics
Formal Lesson Plan and TEKS Information
On a piece of paper write down what you notice about the photograph “Dali Atomicus” by Philippe Halsman.
- What is happening?
- How many lines can find in the photograph?
- How many triangles can you find?
- Are their more rectangles or triangles in the photograph?
On a blank piece of paper draw what you see.
- What is the biggest object in the photograph?
- What is the smallest object?
- What expression is on the man’s face?
- How do you think the cats feel about being in the photograph?
- What is moving in this photograph?
- What are different objects in the photograph?
- What details do you see?
- How many lines go from one edge of the photograph to another edge?
- Where do you think this photograph being taken?
- How similar or different is your drawing from the photograph?
- Is there anything in the photograph that isn’t in your drawing?
- What meaning do you think the photograph could have?